Missions Conference 10/23-24 - Click here to learn more
Missions at SSBC
King Jesus sends his followers into the whole world to disciple the nations. What could be better than sharing the greatest story ever told? Here are some ways we equip ourselves as a missions-sending fellowship:
- MEET: Throughout the year visiting mission partners share with us on Sunday morning or in small groups or special events.
- LEARN: Use our Missionary Prayer Directory to learn the focus of each missionary we support. We have occasional visits from missionaries who present their work during a Sunday School hour or other meeting. Our Missions Conference in the fall is a great way to learn from those on the field. There are many good books and resources on missions that we could recommend.
- PRAY: Use our Missionary Prayer Directory to pray for each of the missionaries our church partners with. Contact Lisa Towle, our Missionary Contact Coordinator, to receive regular prayer updates from our missionaries.
- TRAVEL: Every year, short-term mission trips are organized to give people first-hand experience on the mission field. Some of these trips help support work in which our current mission partners are involved. You could also plan your personal travel to provide encouragement and assistance to our missionaries.
- ADOPT: We encourage every household to adopt a missionary to correspond with and to uphold in prayer. Lisa Towle, our Missionary Contact Coordinator, would be glad to suggest a missionary for you to adopt.
- UNITE: Every October special guest speakers expand our global vision during our Missions Week. This is the time we each prayerfully pledge financial support to our missionaries for the coming year. Our missions budget is separate from the operations budget and is based upon the “faith promise” pledges received from the congregation during the fall Missions Conference.
- CARE: Pray over this week’s Missionary Focus found in the bulletin.
Missions Strategy Summary
Our missions efforts are based on Jesus' Great Comission to "go therefore and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19). We strive to actively support those who go and encourage and prepare people in our own congregation whom God calls to the mission field.
Here are some of the key points to our Missions Strategy:
- Church planting is a key element to biblical missions
- We must send people to share the Gospel outside the area that the local church reaches
- Each missionary SSBC supports will be strongly cared for through prayer, finances, and personal care
- Our major global focus is on unreached people groups with specific focus given to Northeast Africa and the Middle East
- We will also focus our U.S. efforts on the South Shore and Greater Boston area
- Utilize our partnership with the International Missions Board (IMB)