GraceWorks was created to offer tangible opportunities to serve in our surrounding communities. Please visit the GraceWorks page for more information.
The Deacons are the “compassionate” ministry of the church. In Acts 6, the early church appointed Deacons to care for the needs of widows. In this same spirit, SSBC has a Diaconate committee that seeks to care for the physical/monetary needs of our church family. The Deacons are involved in the life of SSBC in the following primary ways:
- The Deacons administer a fund (separate from the General Fund) to help short-term needs of our church community.
- The Deacons assist the Pastors and Elders with communion and baptisms.
- The Deacons visit, encourage and pray for those who may need some help or who are recovering from an illness. We organize transportation and meals as the need arises.
You can join with the Deacons in this ministry. The Deacons can only respond to needs we know about. While committee members strive to stay informed, we need your help to alert us of needs we may have missed. Please feel free to mention needs to any of the committee members. Please contact the Deacons if you are able to assist with any of the needs below. You can email them here.
- The Deacons collect and deliver food to the Hingham Food Pantry. Collection bins are in the lobby. And you can also contribute financially to the food pantry in your collection envelopes. It is a wonderful way for our church to reach out to the community.
- The Deacons encourage any interested member of the congregation to participate in the meal and transportation ministry.
- To give to the Deacon fund, please indicate this on your check or giving envelope. We are so thankful for the generosity of this congregation. There are so many amazing stories of people that you have touched and helped by your giving.
- Inexpensive housing or donated cars are sought after items.
GriefShare is a special seminar and support group for people grieving the loss of someone close. This group is sponsored by people who understand what you are experiencing and offer you a warm, caring environment of comfort and encouragement during this difficult time. The program is non-denominational and features biblical concepts for healing from grief. This seminar uses an excellent video series by GriefShare, support group discussion with focus, and personal study and reflection.
You can learn more at: www.griefshare.org
GriefShare Spring 2019
Classes for spring are held at North River Community Church (NRCC)
334 Old Oak Street, Pembroke, MA
Dates: January 13, 2019 - April 7, 2019
Sunday afternoons, 1-3 PM
Questions about the spring session? Contact 781-826-0722
GriefShare Fall 2019
The next GriefShare class held here at South Shore Baptist Church will be in the fall.
Dates: September – December
Saturdays, 9:00-11:00 AM
Questions? Contact Ann, 781-405-3418
Surviving the Holidays
In November and December we typically offer this special seminar to help you cope with the holiday season. This is a one-day, two-hour class, also using GriefShare material. Look for details in the fall.
Are you struggling? Sometimes we try to find ways to comfort ourselves that rob us of our peace. Experience God’s grace as we learn to turn to the truth of God’s Word when we are feeling drawn to our addiction of choice.
For information, contact Michael Sharkey, or 617-721-1092.
Senior Fellowship for those 55+ meets throughout the year for a time of fellowship, a hot, home-cooked meal, and a special program that includes music and hymn sing, scripture and prayer. We meet a few times a year on a Thursday at 11:30am.
Our next events:
Thursday, March 7
Thursday, May 2 – National Day of Prayer
For more information contact Jane Bradbury or Connie Wagner.
Together Living with Cancer
TLC is a new group where people with cancer, their loved ones, and those that are their supporters can learn ways to cope through interaction with others that are on the same journey. Through sharing experiences, both good and bad, we gain a better understanding of the disease that wants to control our lives and encourage each other to stay focused on God. Each meeting is designed to be independent so that those who cannot make every meeting will not miss out.
TLC meets every 1st and 3rd Monday from 7-9 PM in Room 21.
Questions? Contact Richard Ziegler