Second Baptist Church of Hingham began in 1947 as a small Bible study in the basement of a home on Main Street in Hingham. The founders had a vision for a church built on the Bible’s teachings and a passion for spreading the gospel message around the world through missionaries. The church eventually changed its name to South Shore Baptist Church (SSBC) to reflect its growing concern for reaching the region with the good news. As SSBC grew it relocated to a local meeting hall and in 1958 built the current sanctuary. God has blessed SSBC with a history of faithful Bible preaching, a loving church community, persistent prayer, and a concern for people to know Jesus both locally and globally.
South Shore Baptist Church is affiliated with the Conservative Baptist Association of America.